1. About Exeter's Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation. This ensures that those who serve or who have served in the Armed Forces, and their families, are treated fairly.
Exeter City Council recognises the fantastic job that our Armed Forces do. We acknowledge their hard work and their bravery. As a Council we want to show the military community, including our veterans, that we as a city, stand united in supporting them and their families. Exeter City Council has signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant. In turn we are creating an "Exeter's Armed Forces Covenant" to support this initiative.
We are indebted to the Armed Forces, not only for their unwavering service to protect our country and its citizens, but also for their close connection to our city. Six Armed Forces Regiments hold the Freedom of this city and three of those are based in very close to the city. This covenant recognises that life in the military differs greatly from civilian life. It marks a voluntary commitment between the civilian and Armed Forces communities in Exeter, ensuring that members of the military community have fair treatment.
The Covenant's Aims are
- To encourage local communities to support their local Armed Forces community
- To nurture public understanding and awareness of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- To recognise and remember the sacrifices made by the Armed Forces community
- To encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces community into local life
- To encourage the Armed Forces community to help and support the wider community
Who is covered by the Covenant?
All serving personnel (regulars and reserves), veterans and their families. Children of Armed Forces personnel – no matter the marital status of their parents while still dependent.
More help and advice
For more about the Covenant and what it means for you, visit www.gov.uk/government/policies/armed-forces-covenant
Have you been disadvantaged because of your service? Contact your Service Families Federation or email the Ministry of Defence Covenant Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need help buying your first home? Visit www.gov.uk/forces-help-to-buy