Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Gambling premises licences

Show all parts of this guide

1. Gambling premises licences overview

You’ll need a premises licence if you want to run any of the following types of premises:

  • bingo hall
  • betting shop
  • betting (track) – these are sporting venues not just race tracks
  • amusement arcade (for adults only, or where adult machines are provided)

Types of premises licence

There are four types of premises licences:

  • bingo premises licence
  • betting premises licence, including tracks and premises used by betting intermediaries
  • adult gaming centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines)
  • family entertainment centres (for category C and D gaming machines)

If you want to run an unlicensed family entertainment centre you can apply for a permit instead.  Unlicensed family entertainment centres can only have category D gaming machines.