Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Test & Trace Support Payment

A payment is available to support people who face financial difficulty as a result of an instruction to self-isolate.


Do I qualify?

The support will take the form of a single payment of £500 for people aged 16 or over who:

  • Have been told to isolate by NHS Test & Trace and
  • Are employed or self-employed and
  • Are unable to work from home and
  • Will lose income as a result of being instructed to isolate and
  • Are in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credits
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit

If you meet the other conditions but are not entitled to one of these benefits you could still receive a discretionary payment if you will face financial hardship.

Changes from 16 August

Isolation rules have been changed from 16 August. From this date you will no longer be required to isolate as a close contact of someone who has tested positive if you have been fully vaccinated or are under the age of 18 years and 6 months. You are only eligible for Test & Trace Support Payment if NHS Test & Trace have told you that you must isolate.

You may also be able to receive this payment if you are the parent or guardian of a child who has been sent home from school or nursery and meet the conditions above.


See our Test and Trace Support Payment page for more details about these payments, and to make your application


When this content has been updated

Last updated 16 August 2021