12. Revaluation relief scheme
In the 2017 Spring Budget the Government created a fund to provide support to businesses who had an increase in their rates bill due to the 2017 Revaluation. The Government asked local authorities to design a local scheme for granting support to those businesses.
The full details of our scheme to help Exeter based businesses is available in the Policy for the granting of Discretionary Relief.
There are two parts to the scheme:
- Part A – Relief given for financial years 2017/18 & 2018/19 according to formula based criteria
- Part B – Relief given on a case by case basis where a ratepayer can demonstrate that they have experienced financial difficulties as a result of revaluation
Applying under Part A of the scheme
Before you make your application, please read the criteria for Part A eligibility.
Application forms, including a state aid declaration, have been posted to the businesses we think are likely to meet the criteria under Part A.
Please note that:
- we require the ratepayer (and not an agent) to complete the application. If the ratepayer is a limited company, you must be a director of that company to complete an application
- you won’t qualify if the award of relief would exceed State Aid limits as the scheme must comply with EU state aid law
If you have not received a Part A application from us in the post you are only eligible to apply under Part B of the scheme.
Applying under Part B of the scheme
Businesses not receiving a Part A application form are welcome to apply to Part B of the scheme.
When assessing your application, we will take into account
- the amount of the increase in rate liability due to the Revaluation
- the amount of rates in relation to other business expenses and income of the business
- the amount of reserves held by the business
- the ability of the business to pay the increase
If you wish to apply to Part B of the scheme, please download the Part B application form.
If you have any queries regarding this business rates relief please call 01392 265559 or email: email@example.com