Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner


See the latest information and advice in Exeter. We are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS, who are well prepared to deal with this virus.

See our privacy notices for details on how we manage personal information

Make an online benefit claim

Universal Credit

If you or your partner claim Universal Credit then in most cases you will receive your housing costs as part of the Universal Credit claim.

You will not be able to claim Housing Benefit from us.

But should still claim Council Tax Support from us if you need help with your Council Tax bill.

If you are in one of the following groups you should still make a claim for Housing Benefit with us:

  • live in certain supported accommodation; or

  • have reached pension age. You can check whether this applies to you by clicking on the link to the state pension age calculator; or

  • you are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation. This applies from 11 April 2018

  • are entitled to a benefit with a severe disability premium, or have been in the last month and continue to be eligible

  • part of a couple, one of you has reached state pension age and you were claiming Housing Benefit or state pension credit (as a couple) before 15 May 2019.

If you’re already receiving Housing Benefit from Exeter City Council, moving within the Exeter area and this is your only change, you can report a change in address to Exeter City Council, note some addresses in Pinhoe fall into East Devon District Council.


If you do not fall into any of the categories above you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent. 

Start the journey


More info about the journey

To complete the form you will need:

  • your National Insurance Number 
  • to supply details of your financial situation

When the form has been completed you will need to supply us with forms of evidence to support your claim. You will find details on the first page of the form 

When this content has been updated

Last updated 18 June 2020